Katy Blakey Biography
Katy Blakey is an American journalist working as a reporter and a weekend morning anchor for NBC 5 News. She was born and raised in McKinney and attended McKinney High School.
Katy then went to Southern Methodist University. She was the president of her class and graduated with a B.A in Journalism and political science.
She is currently living in Dallas with her husband who is an attorney and a North Texas, USA, native. She is a volunteer and she raises funds for student scholarships.
Katy Blakey NBC 5 News
She is an award-winning reporter with her being honored with Lone Star Emmy Nominations. Katy has been nominated severally as the Best News Anchor. She has also been recognized by the Oklahoma Associated Press. She joined NBC 5 back in January 2015.
Blakey anchored the early morning attack on Dallas Police Headquarters and hours-long standoff. She also covered the National outpouring of support for the 5 DPD officers killed while protecting peaceful protestants in Downtown Dallas.
Katy traveled all the way to Houston for President George H. W. Bush’s memorial services. Blackey provided the extensive coverage of rescue and relief operations as Hurricane Harver made landfall in the Houston area.
She has covered several stories from endearing Texas Connects Us stories to following a young cancer patient bring smiles, hope and congressional attention to much-needed funding for childhood cancer research to reporting from the mass shooting tragedies in Orlando and Las Vegas, she understands the privilege of reporting local and national news to her hometown community.
Katy used to co-anchor the weekday morning news and also report for KOCO-TV situated in Oklahoma City. Katy was the first reporter on the scene of a deadly medical helicopter crash. Katy’s reporting includes a hostage situation ending with the rescue of a six-year-old girl, devastating wildfires and severe storms.
She tracked rare twin tornadoes, covered multiple tornado outbreaks, reported on the wide-scale destruction and heroic rescue operations left by a massive EF5 tornado in Moore, Oklahoma and President Obama’s tour of damaged communities.
She, however, began her career as a reporter and anchor for KTEN-TV in Denison, Texas. Her investigative reports into private jail funding led to resignations and changes in local law enforcement. She was an intern for The Dallas Morning News and WFAA during the political convention that took place in Boston.
KXAS Anchor & Reporter
Company Name NBCUniversal, Inc.
Dates Employed Jan 2015 – Present
Employment Duration 4 yrs 9 mos
– Anchor DFW’s # 1-weekend morning show
– Serve as breaking news anchor focused on national and international news during weekday show
– Travel out of the market to cover major state and national news events
– Report ongoing feature series “Texas Connects Us”, highlighting unique people and places
KOCO Anchor & Reporter
Company Name Hearst Television
Dates Employed Jun 2011 – Nov 2014
Employment Duration 3 yrs 6 mos
Location Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
– Anchored station’s fast-paced weekday morning show in the aggressive breaking news market
– Increased weekend morning show ratings by double digits, the show grew to #1 from #3 in the first year
– Experienced leading 6+ hours of continuous coverage – winter wx, severe storms, breaking news
– Break compelling lead & quarter-hour stories, turning multiple stories daily
– Field anchor big stories – wildfires, tornadoes, OKC memorial & marathon, Twister Relief Concert
– Provide life-saving information and live reports while chasing tornadoes and severe storms See less
KTEN Morning & Midday Anchor & Reporter
Company Name Lockwood Broadcast Group
Dates Employed Oct 2006 – Apr 2011
Employment Duration 4 yrs 7 mos
Location Denison, Texas
– Anchored & produced 3 hours of morning news including live community interviews
– One-man-band reports prompted resignations, public apologies & changes in local law enforcement
– Part of morning team for all Next Media radio stations in Texas, delivering news & entertainment
– Created viewer favorite series “Texoma Treasures” highlighting places unique to region See less
Company Name Communities Foundation of Texas
Dates Employed Oct 2004 – Apr 2005
Employment Duration7 mos
Company Name Belo Corporation
Dates Employed Jul 2004
Employment Duration 1 month
– Traveled with WFAA and Dallas Morning News to 2004 Democratic Convention in Boston
– Researched and field produced for Belo affiliates
– Articles appeared in DMN’s Quick
Katy Blakey Age
She was born and raised in McKinney. Information about her age will be updated soon.
Katy Blakey Husband
She is currently living in Dallas with her husband who is an attorney and a North Texas native.
Katy Blakey Height
She is 1.56 m tall.
Katy Blakey Net Worth
She has an estimated net worth of between $ 300, 000 and $ 3 million.